Apostlate

spencer wood

I found the interrogation of Kichijiro, Mokichi, and Ichizo to be interesting and thought-provoking.

First, what did it mean for them to step on the icon?
For me, a protestant, this doesn't seem like a whole big deal. I would feel worse about hurting the artwork than what it means. And I'm not sure if that's a correct way to think but it's what I got.

Second, what other leaders of the faith apostatized or come close?
The Greek word apostasia is only used twice in the New Testament and both are warnings given from leaders to the Church so I think it is safe to say that no apostates are leaders of the faith. (looking back I see the irony, sorry) However, there are documented events of major figures denying the faith. Peter is an excellent example. Another example could be Jonah who actively fled a direct order from God. Also, his story was kinda cut off and the last thing said about Jonah was that he was so angry at God that he "could die" so I think an argument could be made that Jonah could've been an apostate but there's no evidence.

Finally, would I have been Kichijiro?
I think it is really easy for us to say "No, I would never renounce my faith, I would stand tall in the face of adversity/ in the lion den/ in the fiery furnace/ etc." Sadly, I think that is just big talk for many Christians today, and Mokichi and Ichizo are anomalies within the faith. (Now, this may be different for believers in the east but in the west, I'm pretty confident in this statement) For me, I'm pretty sure I would really consider apostasy in adversity, or at least just lie to survive. That sounds really bad to say, but it's the sad truth that I and many other believers face.



AK and Clabo

Comments

Cade Wood said…
I really liked your post! I thought it was very interesting what you said in the second paragraph because I read something similar to that today in my quiet time. It was referring to the false prophets and teachers in 2 Peter. Also, I agree with you when it comes to "dying for your faith". I think a lot of times, we all believe we would never renounce our faith like you said, but most of us do not know because we might never be in that situation. It is all just talk until the situation arises. Thank you for your honesty.