God's Silence: Osten

I really enjoy this book! The wonderful imagery that Endo manages to capture in words makes me feel like I'm there. The way he describes the rain and the sounds of the cicada is breathtaking. I also love the main topic on Rodrigues' mind. Why is God silent? Rodrigues continues to face persecution everywhere he goes, is betrayed by the man he trusted, and thrown in prison and tortured for what he believes. Throughout it all, he simply wants to hear God speak and give him some clarity and peace. I can so relate as I also find myself waiting around until God feels like talking. The crazy thing is, he is always talking. By being thrown in prison Rodrigues was placed exactly where God needed him to be. Rodrigues' problem is that he does not know how to watch and listen to God. God will usually speak into our lives through others or the scripture but since Rodrigues rarely has friends and no bible God has chosen to speak to him through situations and guide him to Inoue.

I commented on Leanne and Rachael

Comments

Breanna Poole said…
The way God speaks to us is not always in words, which I love that you pointed out here. Rodrigues is such an interesting character/person, because this isn't a character in the traditional sense -- this was a real person, and all these struggles he really went through. This was a real who struggled with and lost his faith; which is a nice reminder that life is messy and complicated and people don't always react in the way they should.