"Survival in Auschwitz" Primo Levi - Hailey Morgan

During chapter three of Survival in Auschwitz, Primo meets a man named Steinlauf who teaches the newest prisoner a very valuable lesson.

When Primo decides against tidying up in the washroom, a seasoned Steinlauf quickly confronts his newest friend.

Steinlauf explains to Primo, how it is the Germans goal to strip their prisoners of all their humanity, turning them into mere beasts. The more experienced captive urges the young Jew to battle this belittlement by continuing to take part in hygienic practices.

As Primo questions the importance of this statement, I couldn't help but wonder as well. Picturing myself in Primo's place, I would like to think that I would dutifully accept Steinlauf's words and rebel against the Nazis in any way possible.

But in truth, I feel as though I would simply disregard my loving friend's advice and continue to go about my days in a haze of blind hopelessness. If I were to look around and see the horrible state of distraught and misery I was surrounded by, it wouldn't be too long until I hoped for death to come and take me. And if death became my only goal, then why would I need to be clean? My body would only be tossed right back into the dirt and covered by dust, becoming filthy all over again. So what would be the point?

Edit - Replied to Leanne White and Drew Hedden. 

Comments

Drew Hedden said…
Interesting read Hailey. I also thought that a very essential part of the reading was how deeply demeaning the German attitude was towards the prisoners. I feel like the narrator even encourages that depressing side by not really mentioning Steinlauf (or any other character) more than once or twice, contributing to that feeling of hopelessness and lack of individuality.
Clabo said…
I completely agree, why would Primo follow the man's advice when all he could hope for was death. In those kinds of conditions, when you had no hope, what would be the point of doing something that would prolong the life that would ultimately, and most likely very soon, end.