The Death Toll Still Rises - Jamie Peters

       Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is never taken seriously enough, especially in a major war like World War 1. In T.S. Eliot's poem "The Waste Land", the audience is subjected to a very vague story about the aftermath of WW1 and its effects on Europe. Many people have tried to interpret what is happening in this poem, as well as the reasoning behind it. Most scholars (myself included) believe the true meaning of this will never be interpreted, but this is still my best shot.
       In my opinion, this poem follows two main points of view, a woman awaiting her husband who is off to war, and a husband returning after the war. As far as I can tell, the woman's perspective only exists in the man's mind, however, because the time period is set after the war. The man sees that everything that he ever knew, his home, his wife, his city, is gone. Therefore, still reeling from the emotional shock, he proceeds to row out into the middle of the Thames and drown himself.
       This is a very convoluted poem; by the time you finish reading, you don't know up from down. However, I think that a reader can get the general feeling of shock and betrayal from Eliot's words. He seems to be crying out to God, asking Him why this tragedy has struck. What do you guys think?

I commented on Jacob's and Rebecca's posts.

Comments

Drew Hedden said…
Interesting read Jamie. I really appreciate your perspective on the wife's existence in the soldier's mind because I hadn't really thought of it that way and I was unsure of what the meaning behind all of that was.
Osten said…
This understanding of the poem seems to be a very popular one however I have also heard others. One other way of understanding it is how in What the Thunder said T. S. Elliot wrote it in reference to the crucifixion. This poem will never be fully understood because it applies to so many difrent points of view.
Moriah Nelson said…
I always love hearing your perspectives on our readings and "The Wasteland" is no different. I think Eliot is not necessarily crying out to God but rather is crying out to the people of London and Europe to wake up from their numbed stupor. I think he wants them to see that there is still purpose left to behold and life to live. Loved reading your post, Jamie!
Luke Killam said…
I've been struggling to see the symbolism in this poem, and I like how you coined it, that after reading it you cant tell up from down. When i read it, i was too confused to see it as one long narrative. It felt very popcorn-y to me.