The Mystery of Martyrdom - AnnaKate Burleson

I am privileged to know nothing of martyrdom. So was Rodrigues for the former part of his time in Japan, but then he witnessed the crucifixions of Ichizo and Mokichi.
Chapter four wrecked me. Knowing that Endo writes this book from a place of personal experience and knowing that there are places right now where Christians are persecuted so severely is devastating to me. I can't imagine wanting to cause bodily harm to someone solely because of their religious beliefs, no matter how detrimental I feel they are.
This weekend I had the opportunity to speak with a woman named Esther Ahmad who was persecuted for her belief in Christ while living in Pakistan. Hearing her story brought new life to Endo's words. But I still have no true concept of martyrdom.
I have never been persecuted for my beliefs. I grew up in a ministerial home. I graduated from a private Christian high school in the Bible belt and now attend a private Christian university in the Bible belt. I work in a church and serve on this university's chapel band and campus ministries team. Even when I lived in New York and even in my time in Moscow I was never persecuted. I may have been in the minority, but I was free to meet in churches and talk about my Savior, and I did so without true fear. I have never once been in danger of being put to death for my beliefs. The concept of martyrdom is foreign to me and it will be foreign to me until I witness it. I very selfishly hope that martyrdom is always foreign to me. The same was true for Rodrigues, and he really starts to wrestle with it in chapter six when he realizes his own death is likely imminent.
Rodrigues realizes that when he dies the world will keep turning. The flies and cicadas will still buzz incessantly. The outside world will likely never hear of his death. It would cause no change and spark no controversy, and for some reason this causes him to grow apprehensive. Even though he would be dying for Christ, he still feels like he would be dying for nothing. This is when the reality of martyrdom really hits him.
Martyrdom is gruesome. It is not glorious. It is dirty and lonely and painful. Very rarely does it leave a legacy of sainthood or glory or fame. And yet we are called to accept it anyway. Even if nobody cares that we are dead, if we die for Christ, we need to accept it willingly. Christ died naked and in agony for the people who would spit in His face. It only stands to reason that we need to be willing to do the same for Him.


moriah & hailey

Comments

Rebecca Belew said…
I actually got physical chills from this post. Thinking of the way our Savior hung on that dirty cross and the fact that if I were in that place, I would probably also feel like I was sacrificing for nothing if my name wasn't known because of it. It makes someone feel dirty and unworthy of Christ's love. Your post reminded me of the pure pleasure it would really be to be martyred for Christ and have no one remember me, although it's not something I wish to encounter by any means. This really opened up my eyes to how I would be feeling in this situation.
Drew Hedden said…
I also felt that Chapter 4 was the most emotionally/spiritually awakening. I thought that the paragraph Endo wrote contrasting what Rodrigues thought about how martyrdom would look compared to the actual deaths of Mokichi and Ichizo was really well written and one of the highlights of the reading. There's a lot of deep thinking as a result of it. A very bitter aftertaste if you will...
Logan Turner said…
I think Chapters 4 and 6 are what makes this book truly great. The perception of martyrdom versus its grim reality is almost shocking. We hear legends of people like Joan of Arc, but we never really think of the countless others who were put to death simply because of a difference in religious belief. It sheds light on something that we strive for: to be so strong in our faith that we'd be willing to die for it. But Chapter 6 exposes the truth that the world is indifferent to those suffering for their beliefs, and as a result, makes martyrdom lose its luster.
Spencer Wood said…
I completely agree that martyrdom is fantastic in our postmodern age especially in the west. the most recent martyr I can think of would be protestants in Ireland. the IRA's main goal is to kill protestants and insight terror in the lives of the Irish people. but that's only considering the west. china still exist but I don't think. you're killed for being a believer in china I think you're just forced to leave. I may be incorrect but that's what I understand. HOWEVER, I'm also speaking only on the Christian stance. I know there are Muslims in concentration camps in china currently. and that is unfathomable to me.