Thoughts on Silence

Wow. The fourth chapter of Silence is without a doubt one of the best individual reading pieces I've come across in a long time. I think I appreciate it as much as I do because there's so much reality to it and it accurately describes a lot of doubts and insecurities of the Christian walk. A few of my favorite excerpts:
"I do not believe that God has given us this trial to no purpose. I know that the day will come when we will clearly understand why this persecution with all its sufferings has been bestowed upon us- for everything that Our Lord does is for our good. And yet, even as I write these words I feel the oppressive weight in my heart of those last stammering words of Kichijro..."...why...what evil have we done?"
"No matter how strong one's faith, physical fear can overwhelm completely."
"Mokichi was strong- like a strong shoot. But a weak shoot like me will never grow no matter what you do."

These individual sections of the chapter and many other phrases and paragraphs so beautifully capture the internal struggle between the head and heart of a Christian. Fear and doubt are wrecking Rodrigues' mind, despite the fact that he knows that the Lord is good and what he is experiencing is for His glory. Rodrigues continues to doubt whether he is a strong Christian, or simply a priest bound by his occupation.


Edit: I commented on Moriah and AnnaKate's posts.

Comments