"What the Thunder Said" By Joshua Evers

I am more than intrigued by Eliot's poem, however claiming that I completely understand it would be a massive lie. It has become a stumbling block to my reading comprehension and forced me to reread line after line in order to understand only the surface level of its meaning. I will try to analyze and perhaps bring forth somewhat useful insights. In section V, titled "What the Thunder Said", Eliot presents a lot of strong imagery. After reading a footnote mentioning this section may depict the betrayal, arrest, interrogation, and crucifixion of Christ, I found it much easier to break apart and examine. The first line of Section V (line 322) says "After the torchlight red on sweaty faces". This quiet literally could be speaking about the guards on their way to arrest Jesus in the night. They have torches lit, running through the night while the heat, and perhaps a sense of nervousness, is causing them to constantly sweat as they head to arrest the Messiah. The next line, coming to me in an eerie tone, says "After the frosty silence in the garden." This is both creepy and nerve-racking. The Lord and Savior is quietly praying in the garden. This "frosty" silence makes me think of a cold and unforgiving silence. A brutal silence that instills its object with utter loneliness. The next line delivers more powerful news "After the agony in stony places." While I'm quite certain that this comment is wrong, It really makes me think about the environment surrounding Christ during his imprisonment. He was likely surrounding by unforgiving and harsh stone walls and cells, trekking to Golgotha up and down stone stairs and slopes, only to be placed in a tomb and sealed inside by a massive stone. The title of Section V only makes me think more deeply about these three lines, each beginning with the word "after." These things happened before what Eliot has yet to describe. These events serve as the Thunder, and very soon we will observe the lightning- the magnificent display of power that the thunder sounded would arrive after the thunder ended. The next two lines bring forth some strong language saying "The shouting and the crying/ The prison and place and reverberation." These words are powerful and remind me of the fearfulness likely expressed by the people in and around Golgotha during the crucifixion. God's wrath is being poured out on Christ, every sin committed by those who believe on Christ for salvation, and Jesus is taking it all and quotes the words of David in the first verse of Psalm 22 "My God my God why have you forsaken me?" Christ has become a curse for our sakes. He who knew no sin became sin on our behalf. While there was plenty of The Wasteland that I did not understand, I certainly appreciate Section V and the precision at which Eliot forms his lines.

I commented on the posts of Breanna and Moriah.

Comments

Zane Duke said…
Wow, Josh. Some really deep and fascinating insight. I think this really helps my outlook on the passage, considering that I got next to nothing from any of it to begin with. This poem has proven itself extremely difficult to decipher, as are all poems though. The imagery in this section was indeed very strong, however I did not undergo the analysis to parallel to the arrest and crucifixion of Christ, which now seems like such a beautiful metaphorical picture. Bravo to you dude!