Gatore the Philosopher

Well, I honestly don't quite understand what all is going on with this story, but I'm definitely interested to see how it plays out. Although he's a very strange character, Niko is quite well written and very intriguing. But what stood out most to me through the reading were these strange little philosophical one liners and deep questions scattered through the text. They reminded me a lot of Pascal's Pensees from last semester. Although it's hard to have an opinion on them since I'm not sure quite what they mean to the story, here are a few of my favorites:
Is it possible that in reality life has a direction that everyone simply follows?
Happiness is what you are forced to abandon.
Do you owe your guardian angel anything?
Do those who kill have a reason for doing so?
Why do the different moments in a given life make sense only after they've been lived?
What lavishness was there in the enjoyment that her (Isaro) death inspired in her?

Again, I don't necessarily know answers to all of these, but they're definitely thought-provoking. Additionally, I really like how quickly Gatore can go from writing very plainly and surface level information about Niko's surroundings to pretty deep questions of meaning, both in Niko and Isaro's thoughts.

Edit: I commented on Moriah and AnnaKate's posts.

Comments

Breanna Poole said…
I really enjoyed that Gatore kept flipping between this philosophy and surface level things. That’s one way you can tell the mark of a good writer; if you can switch between the two without losing the readers interest. We’re so enraptured in the story that when it’s time for philosophy we don’t balk as we want to apply it to the characters.