Numbers- Jamie Peters

       This book is the definition of abstract. It is very difficult to discern the narrative story that is being told underneath all of the beautiful metaphors and time jumps. It was even harder to figure out there were time jumps! Hurdles notwithstanding, this book has thus far been very interesting and entertaining. As Dr. Berry already mentioned, the two main characters, Isaro and Niko, are mirror images of each other; Niko seems to serve as a representation of how Isaro felt during her time of self-isolation.
       Another thing that was very interesting to me about Niko's narrative is the numbering of the different paragraphs within the story. Initially, I thought that it was just a glitch in my Kindle copy of the book, but further question revealed that every text has it. Therefore, I surmise that the numbers convey the individual testimonies of all of the people that she interviewed/interviews/will interview. Isaro had mentioned in her interview with the Foundation that all of the testimonies would be compressed into one story, and the testimonies given would be given as the giver sees fit; they wouldn't be biographies, but the most important thing about the genocide to that person. In this light, each sentence tells a personal story about one huge event, much like verses in the Bible.


I commented on Zane's and Rachael's posts.
Also, I apologize, I misspelled Gatore's name in both posts.

Comments

abbiehedden said…
Jamie, I wouldn't necessarily see this book as abstract rather than as stream of consciousness. Gatore himself, along with his characters Isaro and Niko, experience great trauma which undoubtedly affected their collective thought processes. I also noticed the numbered paragraphs, but accredited it to the translation style. I think it would be interesting to see if there is a plot-driven reason!