Second Person and Strange Endeavors -- Breanna Poole

The decision that was made to start the book in second person was a risky one, as any story told in the second person is at first going to be disorienting and will turn many readers who do not want to be challenged off a book entirely. But for The Past Ahead, I believe it is actually a move that worked to it's advantage. This book deals with some heavy subject matter, and by drawing the reader by pointing out that you are watching, you are reading, you are apart of this, it makes it easier to be empathize with these characters and feel a deeper connection with the setting.

Niko is an interesting character, as he's not a character I can quite bring myself to like but I can empathize and sympathize with. I made the mistake of reading the introduction of my copy, which I'm sure several others of you have for yours, so I was privy to information that made me not like Niko off the bat. Still, their is something about the way that the author makes feel a connection with Niko, which I think is supposed to make us think broader and feel as though these are real people -- as real people are complex and do complex things.

Even though it did not have much to do with the story as a whole, I like the part where writing was described in the prologue. I feel like they really hit the nail on the head with what it's like to have a burst of writing and then feel as though you want nothing to do with it after. Again, not really related to the story as a whole, I just thought it was neat.

I commented on Zane and Rebecca's posts.

Comments