Very Interesting - Clabo

When reading The Past Ahead, it is almost as if one is reading Gatore's present thoughts when he is sleeping or dreaming. It is most likely that Gatore is showing that he is haunted by his past, and his vivid but distorted and disfigured memory of the past is what he experiences in his dreams. I feel as if Isaro is the person Gatore is when he is awake, but Niko is Gatore when he is asleep, or having nightmares. Isaro and her story is somewhat more cohesive and reflect upon feelings of depression and a lost sense of identity while Niko's story appears in random and incoherent flashes that one would experience when having nightmares. It is almost as if they are each others' missing puzzle pieces or that they are the yin and yang of Gatore's story. I feel as if they are more alike than they appear, but they are just showing different aspects of the same character.

I may be a little off base here, but did anyone have similar thoughts?

P.S. I commented on Rachael's and Caroline's posts.

Comments

Caroline Tucker said…
This is a very interesting thought. I did not think of this but I like the idea. After reading your post, that idea clicked. It makes sense to me that they are the opposites of each other which makes them balanced if they came together. I also like the idea of Niko being Gatore’s dreams and nightmares while Isaro is Gatore during the day. All of these thoughts are interesting and I do not know if it is true or not but I like the possibility that they are correct.
Addison Zanda said…
I didn't really ever have that though of Niko being a nightmare aspect, but it makes a little more sense. The imagery of the cave in Chapter 1 was really dark for the detail.