Problems of a One-Track Mind - AnnaKate

This book has been the toughest read so far for me personally. I have absolutely no doubt that the disclaimer at the beginning was one-hundred percent directed at me personally. I have a hard time reading narratives with no clear discernment between fiction and reality or past and present, and that's exactly what this is. Now, you may be wondering, "AnnaKate, didn't you LOVE reading The Waste Land? Don't you read early modern and postmodern poetry for fun?" The answer to those questions is a resounding yes, but for some reason The Past Ahead is completely different. I think it's because I was expecting this book to be more like the Holocaust memoirs we've read. Since all three of these works were narratives about genocide, I presumed that they would be similar. But boy was I wrong. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the challenge, and hopefully as we progress I'll grasp the content well enough to give a more thorough examination of it.


zane & rebecca

Comments

Joshua Evers said…
I more than understand your difficulty. While I appreciate the writing, I must admit that there is something peculiar about this book. I can't quite pin down the difference. Perhaps it will reveal itself soon!
Drew Hedden said…
I definitely relate to you- I prefer clarity and defined reality in my reading choices, too. I honestly find it difficult to even begin to compare it to Survival in Auschwitz or any of the others, esp. SIA due to its neat, factual nature. Regardless, I'm hoping to find some clarity and answers in the rest of the book.
Cade Wood said…
I can definitely agree that it is not something I expected. The only word I know to describe it is interesting. I definitely, similar to Drew, prefer clarity and reality. I guess we will just have to see how the book goes.
abbiehedden said…
I'm starting to feel like I'm missing something, because this has been the easiest book for me to read thus far! I hope that class tomorrow will help us all understand just what's going down in The Past Ahead.